Monday, August 20, 2012

Robin Paris

So the next artist I want to look at is a Batik artist. Robin Paris's batik paintings are so interesting, as she depicts wildlife and nature with colors, patterns, and designs.

Leatherback II
In "Leatherback II" Paris uses pattern both in the composition of the entire piece, and also in the details of the large turtle. If you have ever looked at a turtle's shell, you would know they have really cool designs on them, and they vary from turtle to turtle. I like that she played on that idea with the turtle shells by making her own designs and patterns on them.
Dandelion Ley
"Dandelion Ley" seems a little different, at least from the rest of her works featured in this blog post, but I really like it when I saw it and wanted to include it. I like the details in it, and how it does not strike me as a typical-looking batik piece. I don't know if it's the full coverage of color and details or what, but it interests me.
Ebb/Flow
On her website, Paris mentions her affinity for nature, and how it feels natural to her to combine it with her art (http://www.robinparis.co.uk/biog/history.htm). She goes on to say that it was when she had traveled to Malaysia that she encountered batiking and fell in love with it (http://www.robinparis.co.uk/biog/history.htm).
Side-Stepping Crab 
I like her use of composition in "Side-Stepping Crab" and her use of color in "Stingray." Both styles enhance the pieces and add to the character of the subject matter. The side-steeping crab is side-stepping his way off the page, and the stealthy stingray can be made out due to the lines, but still blends in with the rest of its surroundings due to the monochromatic color scheme.
Stingray
I've tried my hand at batiking before and it is definitely a cool art form. It is cool to see how others use it, too.

-Maria

http://www.robinparis.co.uk/index.htm <-- her site with photos of her works and info!

No comments:

Post a Comment